Oklahoma Clean Marina Program
The Oklahoma Clean Marina Program (CMP) is a voluntary program open to all public and private marinas in Oklahoma. It was developed to protect Oklahoma’s precious water resources and wildlife habitat by promoting environmentally sound and economically feasible marina and boating best practices to reduce waste and prevent release of hazardous substances into Oklahoma’s waterways.
A key feature of the CMP is the Clean Vessel Act Grant Program (CVA). DEQ administers grants provided by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service through the Clean Vessel Act Grant Program. The grant award will reimburse eligible marinas up to 75% of the cost of construction, renovation, operation, and maintenance of pump-out stations and waste reception facilities for recreational boaters. The funds may also be used for educational programs to inform boaters of the importance of proper disposal of their sewage. The marina will cover the remaining 25% of the cost. Eligible projects include such things as building or renovating pump-out systems, building floating restrooms, or purchasing pump-out boats.
Cheryl Dirck, Environmental Programs Specialist
Department of Environmental Quality
Office of External Affairs
PO Box 1677
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-1677
Ph: (405) 702-8179
Clean Marina Program
Information and ResourcesCertified Clean
MarinasClean Vessel Act Grant
Information and ResourcesClean Vessel Act
Objectives of the Clean Marina Program
The objectives of the Oklahoma Clean Marina Program are to:
- provide recognition to environmentally proactive marinas,
- promote voluntary implementation of pollution prevention strategies, environmental risk reduction, and fish and wildlife habitat enhancement,
- encourage compliance with environmental laws and regulations impacting the marina industry through education and outreach, and
- assist marinas in communications with other agencies as needed for Clean Vessel Act Grant projects.
Benefits of the CMP
By becoming a certified Clean Marina, you will:
- reduce pollution and improve water quality,
- protect fish, plant and wildlife habitat,
- save money by adopting cost-effective best management practices,
- enhance your image by promoting environmentally sound practices, and
- receive free publicity through program promotions.
Certification as a Clean Marina
Complete the following steps to be a Certified Clean Marina. Certifications are valid for three years.
- Review the Oklahoma Clean Marina Guidebook.
- Complete the Oklahoma Clean Marina Self-Assessment Guide to identify areas for improvement.
- Submit the self-assessment and CMP Pledge to DEQ.
- Contact DEQ to schedule an on-site assistance visit.
- Complete improvements to which you committed.
- Contact DEQ for a final on-site assistance visit.
- Be certified as an Oklahoma Clean Marina or Boatyard!
Clean Marina Program Resources
Clean Marina Program Links
Information will be added soon.
Clean Vessel Act Grant Program Description
The CVA grant program is established under the federal 1992 Clean Vessel Act to provide grants for pump-out stations and waste reception facilities so that raw sewage from marinas and recreational boaters is not discharged into waterways.
DEQ administers grants provided by the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) through the Clean Vessel Act Grant Program. Grant recipients will receive up to 75% of the cost of the approved project and the marina will cover the remaining 25%. Funding is available to marinas (private, commercial, residential, and municipal) who have gas/service docks, fish houses/seafood dealers, and boat docking facilities.
Projects eligible to receive CVA grants include:
- construction, renovation, planning and engineering for pump-out stations (including necessary piping to connect to the marina sewage system),
- operation and maintenance of pump-out stations, and waste reception facilities for recreational boaters (including necessary modifications of existing on-site septic systems needed to handle the additional flow generated by the pump-out stations or damaged or destroyed pump-out and dump stations caused by weather)
- educational programs to inform recreational boaters about pollution resulting from sewage discharge from vessels, and
- activities associated with proper management of sewage from pump-out boats, floating restrooms, and other sewage-management activities on the marina.
How to Apply for a Grant
The application period for the Clean Vessel Act (CVA) Grant is open for FY2023. The FY 2023 CVA Grant Application Packet is due by October 1, 2022.
If you have questions about the packet, please contact Cheryl Dirck at Cheryl.Dirck@deq.ok.gov or 405-702-8179.
Please note that since this is a reimbursement grant, projects must be completed prior to the grant being awarded.
Fiscal Year 2020 Grant Participants
Fiscal Year 2019 Grant Participants
Map of Historical Projects