Hazardous Waste FAQ

1. Is asbestos regulated as a hazardous waste?

Asbestos is not regulated as a hazardous waste. Agencies regulating asbestos are the Oklahoma Department of Labor, Asbestos Program (405) 521-6467 and the Air Quality Division of the DEQ (405) 702-4100. The Solid Waste Permitting group (405) 702-5100 issues permits for asbestos disposal sites. Additional Information: Oklahoma Department of Labor Frequently Asked Questions about asbestos.

2. Are polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB's) regulated as hazardous waste?

PCB’s are regulated under the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). This program is not delegated to the State of Oklahoma. Questions regarding PCB’s should be directed to EPA Region 6 in Dallas, Texas, (214) 665-7579. Mixtures of hazardous waste and PCB’s are regulated by both the EPA and DEQ. Both the TSCA and hazardous waste regulations apply to such mixtures.

3. Are fluorescent light bulbs regulated as hazardous waste?

Fluorescent light bulbs are regulated as a Universal Waste. See 252:205-3-2(l) (adopts 40 CFR 273 by reference) of the regulations for details. DEQ has produced a Fluorescent Lamp Fact sheet.

4. What is the telephone number of the RCRA/Superfund Hotline?

The hotline number is (800) 424-9346. Other sources of information about hazardous waste management are the EPA’s Hazardous Waste Clean Up Information (Clu-In) and the EPA’s National Center for Environmental Research.

5. What is the telephone number for reporting spills?

The DEQ spill reporting hotline is (800)522-0206. The National Response Center hotline is (800)424-8802. Both numbers operate 24 hours a day seven days a week.

6. How do I obtain copies of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)?

The CFR may be ordered from the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office, Mail Stop: SSOP, Washington, D.C. 20402-9328. Credit Card orders may be made at (202) 512-2233. The National Archives and Records Administration has the CFR on-line in PDF format.

7. If I am driving through the state with a shipment of hazardous waste, am I required to register as a hazardous waste transporter?

As of July 1, 2000, the Department of Environmental Quality no longer registers Hazardous Waste Transporters. This duty is now performed by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC). The OCC number is 405-521-2915. DEQ will continue to enforce 40 CFR Part 263 as well as the remaining parts of the Oklahoma Administrative Code dealing with transportation (252:205-7-2 through 252:205-7-4).

8. How do I register to be a transporter of hazardous waste?

As of July 1, 2000, the Department of Environmental Quality no longer registers Hazardous Waste Transporters. This duty is now performed by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC). The contact person at OCC is Sherri Hensler, 405- 521-2915 . DEQ will continue to enforce 40 CFR Part 263 as well as the remaining parts of the Oklahoma Administrative Code dealing with transportation (252:205-7-2 through 252:205-7-4).

9. Does Oklahoma have its own version of the Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest?

Oklahoma does NOT have its own version of the Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest. The procedure for acquisition of hazardous waste manifests may be found in 40 CFR 262.21. See the Manifest FAQ for more information.

10. How do I obtain an EPA ID Number?

An EPA ID Number is obtained by completing the federal Notification of Hazardous Waste Activities Form (EPA Form 8700-12). The forms and instructions can be obtained online by clicking HERE. Completed hard copies of the form can be mailed to:

Department of Environmental Quality

Attn: Kevin Courtney
P.O. Box 1677
Oklahoma City, OK, 73101-1677


Or electronic submissions can be made only by obtaining a myRCRAid and submitting a new request or requesting access to an existing site. The RCRAInfo Industry help guide can be found  HERE. Large Quantity Generators (LQGs) are also required to submit a $300 Monitoring and Inspection fee. Alternatively, Small Quantity Generators (SQGs) have a $25 Monitoring and Inspection fee. (Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQGs) do not carry any fee requirements. Following review, an ID number is assigned by our office. Once the forms are received, please allow 3 to 5 business days for processing. Forms that are mailed in will receive an email and/or phone call with the EPA ID Number or for any subsequent questions or inquiries.

Provisional numbers (for emergency situations only*) are good for 90 days and can be obtained by contacting our office at (405) 702-5100. Information needed to assign the provisional number is the name of the generator, location where the waste was generated, cause of generation, and contact person. The location must have a street address or distance from a highway intersection in addition to the city and county. The latitude/longitude is also required if no physical address exists. A completed notification form (EPA Form 8700-12) is required within 10 days of receiving a provisional number over the telephone. You can find a link to the forms in the paragraph above. You may find the assigned Provisional EPA ID Numbers on the Hazardous Waste Home page.

For questions please contact Kevin Courtney (405) 702-5194 Kevin.Courtney@deq.ok.gov

11. How can I get a list of EPA ID Numbers?

An on-line searchable form of the notifier’s database may be found at: https://echo.epa.gov/?redirect=echo 

12. How can I get a copy of the Biennial Report Hazardous Waste Report?

The State of Oklahoma is consistent with the Federal Regulations and only requires Biennial Reports (also known as the Hazardous Waste Report) every other year [40 CFR 262..41 and 264.75] for Large Quantity Generators. The Biennial Report covers odd numbered calendar years, and is due by March 1st of even numbered years (e.g., the 2013 Report will be due March 1, 2014). In the past, DEQ has mailed a notification to the LQG facilities by late December of the odd numbered year.

The biennial reports and related information for previous reporting cycles are available on EPA’s website.

13. Where can I get a copy of the Small Quantity Generator’s Handbook?

Photocopied versions of the form may be ordered from the Land Protection Division. It is available electronically by clicking HERE. Also available Hazardous Waste A Guide for Small Businesses.

14. Where can I get more information on Toxics Release Inventories (TRI)?

15. Where are hazardous waste manifests returned to in the state of Oklahoma?

Only uniform hazardous waste manifests documenting international shipments of hazardous waste or wastes generated by the DEQ need to be returned to the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality. All others sent to the DEQ will be recycled. Historical copies of manifests are stored in two locations. Manifests covering the period from 1977 to 1985 are stored in the Oklahoma State Archives located at the State Department of Libraries. Between 1985 and 1995 manifests are stored off site and may be reviewed at the convenience of the Land Protection Division. It will be necessary to make an appointment to review them. After 1995, DEQ was no longer required to collect manifests and they are not available at DEQ.

16 What are the procedures for remediating soil contaminated with petroleum?

The DEQ procedures for remediating soil contaminated with petroleum may be found HERE. Also checkout the Diesel and Gasoline Spills Fact sheet.

17. My property was used for a methamphetamine (meth) lab and I have been instructed by local authorities to clean it up. What do I do?

The Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, Oklahoma State Department of Health and Department of Environmental Quality have produced Guidelines on Cleaning Up Meth Labs. KCI (formerly Koch Crime Institute) also has a web site describing how to clean up properties formerly used as meth labs.

18. Does the Land Protection Division regulate Underground Storage Tanks?

Underground storage tanks are regulated by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission. They also regulate above ground storage tanks containing petroleum products. The Land Protection Division only regulates tanks containing hazardous waste.

19. Does Oklahoma have state specific waste codes?

Oklahoma does not have state specific waste codes.

20. Does Oklahoma manage discarded Cathode Ray Tubes as UW (Universal Waste)?

No, Oklahoma does not manage discarded CRTs as UW provided the generator complies with Federal Rules. However, we recognize the potential to recycle these materials for which the generator is obligated to demonstrate them to be recycled material to be qualified for exclusion [40 CFR 261.2(e)] from classification as solid waste (therefore hazardous waste).

21. If I made an error completing my monthly report, how do I correct it?

To correct an error on a report already submitted to DEQ, you should make a copy of the report you submitted, mark it revised, add the corrections and mark the corrections as revised.

22. How much does it cost to dispose of my hazardous waste?

Disposal of hazardous waste is performed by private enterprise. The Department of Environmental Quality does not regulate what disposal companies charge to dispose of your hazardous waste. The cost will vary vary depending on what kind of waste is generated, how difficult it is to dispose of, how much and how often waste will be generated and how good a negotiator you are at fixing your disposal cost. The amount varies so much that DEQ does not even attempt to quantify disposal fees charged by disposal companies.

23. What are Oklahoma's hazardous waste reporting requirements?

In addition to the federal biennial reporting requirements for large quantity generators and TSDF’s, there are Oklahoma specific requirements. Oklahoma large quantity generators are required to submit a quarterly report summarizing wastes generated in a given calendar quarter. See OAC 252:205-5-3. Click here for the most recently revised quarterly report form. TSD facilities are required to submit a monthly report summarizing wastes treated, stored or disposed of each month. See OAC 252:205-9-2. Click here for the Monthly report form.

24. Are Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators required to have an EPA ID Number?

Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) are NOT required to have an EPA ID Number by the Oklahoma DEQ. CESQG’s that voluntarily obtain an EPA ID Number will enter the DEQ’s inspectable universe.

25. What method should I use to analyze hazardous waste for characterization by DEQ?

Waste should be analyzed using EPA publication Test Methods for Evaluation of Solid Wastes SW-846.

26. Does the Land Protection Division regulate product storage tanks?

The Land Protection Division only regulates tanks that contain hazardous wastes as defined by EPA. Product storage tanks are NOT regulated by the Land Protection Division.

27. How can my school dispose of its hazardous waste?

Oklahoma schools that utilize DEQ to assist in disposal must use the state contract to dispose of their hazardous wastes. Otherwise, a school can utilize any authorized environmental contractor or permitted disposal facility. These companies can be found by performing a general internet search for “hazardous waste disposal” or contacting the DEQ for additional assistance. Public Schools should also check this link for help from DEQ.

28. What regulations apply when a handler changes generator status for a time period within a given year?

For the quarter in which the waste is generated, he must comply with the standards applicable to his changed generator status. If he becomes an large quantity generator (LQG), he must comply with Oklahoma Administrative code 205 Chapter 5 which includes having a disposal plan, making quarterly reports for the quarters the disposal plan is active and manifesting waste and payment of applicable fees (Chapter 21 paragraph 2) and if in an odd numbered year submit the federally required biennial report for the entire year. He should also comply with the appropriate 40 CFR 265 regulations applicable to the way waste is handled (see 40 CFR 262.34 subpart C). This includes having a personnel training program (40 CFR 265.16), all the requirements for preparedness and prevention (40 CFR 265 Subpart C) and all of the Contingency Plan and Emergency Procedures (40 CFR 265. Subpart D) plus specific means in which the waste is handled at the facility (I.e., 40 CFR 265 subpart I if waste is managed in containers or; 40 CFR 265 Subpart J if the waste is managed in tanks). He is also responsible for complying with the remainder of 40 CFR 262 applicable to LQG’s. Briefly in the quarter in which large quantity hazardous waste is generated, he must comply with all regulations applicable to large quantity generators. A conditionally exempt generator who generates more than 220 pounds of non-acutely hazardous waste must comply the regulations applicable to a small quantity generator which includes having an EPA ID number and complying with the provisions of 40 CFR 262.34 applicable to small quantity generators for the months in which generation rates exceed 220 pounds of hazardous waste. Here is a chart comparing the regulatory requirements for LQG’s, Small quantity generators and conditionally exempt small quantity generators.

29. What Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests are handled by the Land Protection Division?

The Freedom of Information Act applies only to the federal government. The Oklahoma equivalent is the Oklahoma Open Records Act. The Land Protection Division has records relating only to entities it regulates. Requests regarding underground storage tanks should be addressed to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC). Those concerning above ground storage tanks containing petroleum products should also be addressed to OCC. The Air Quality Division regulates emissions from certain storage tanks. Other above ground product storage tanks are not regulated by the Land Protection Division except those storage tanks that stored Hazardous Waste. Spills, accidental releases and complaints are managed by the DEQ’s Environmental Complaints and Local Services Division. If you wish to review the official agency records, please contact DEQ’s Central Records office at (405) 702-1188. Those facilities regulated by the Land Protection Division may be found here.