Toxics Release Inventory

EPCRA Section 313: Toxics Release Inventory (TRI)

The Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) is Section 313 of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA). This law requires regulated facilities and federal installations to submit reports annually to both DEQ and the EPA describing chemical releases and waste management activities for over 600 toxic chemicals.

If a facility meets all three of the following criteria, they must report annually to the TRI Program by July 1:

  • If a facility engages in manufacturing, electric power generation, commercial hazardous waste disposal, solvent recovery, or serves as bulk petroleum terminals. For a complete list of TRI-covered NAICS codes, click here.
  • The facility has the equivalent of at least 10 full-time employees
  • Processes, manufactures, or uses at least one TRI-listed chemical at or above the reporting threshold.

Beginning in the 2014 reporting year, EPA no longer accepts paper submissions. If your facility must report to the TRI Program and you need guidance on electronic reporting, click here for additional assistance.

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if my facility is required to report?
  • Once you’ve determined whether your facility meets all three reporting criteria, gather information on all the TRI chemicals managed during the calendar year.
  • Register a new user account or sign-in to the EPA’s Central Data Exchange (CDX) to complete the required chemical reporting forms using TRI-MEweb.
  • Verify that your certifying official has certified the completed TRI forms and submit by July 1
Are there any fees associated with reporting under TRI?
There are no federal fees or taxes associated with submitting a form R or form A under EPCRA Section 313; however, some states have similar reporting programs with fees that are associated with the submission of TRI forms. Check with your state’s TRI coordinator to be sure.

Oklahoma has no fees associated with the TRI program.

If I submit my TRI report through TRI-MEweb will it automatically be submitted to my state or tribe?
Yes. Oklahoma participates in the TRI Data Exchange (TDX) Program. Facilities that use the TRI-MEweb application will automatically submit their TRI report to the DEQ when they submit annually to EPA.

A list of other states that participate in the TDX Program can be found here

How do I get more information about the TRI facilities in my community?
As a part of the community right-to-know provision of EPCRA, information from TRI reporting must be made available to the public. The EPA has a number of tools useful for searching and analyzing TRI data.

TRI Contacts

Contact the EPA TRI Helpdesk at (800) 424-9346, for assistance