DEQ Offers Funding Opportunities in Solid Waste Management

For Immediate Release:  April 20, 2021

Contact:  Erin Hatfield, (405) 702-7119,

Local governments and nonprofit organizations can apply to the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) for funds aimed at solid waste improvements. The Oklahoma Solid Waste Management Act (Act) affords DEQ resources that can help local governments with things such as cleaning up illegal dumps, hiring environmental enforcement officers, and hosting collection events for difficult to manage waste such as household chemicals, unwanted meds, and old electronics. The Act created a system of state solid waste fees that help fund DEQ’s environmental protection programs.

Partnerships with local governments allow DEQ to make the best use of available resources. “Local governments understand local environmental needs. From assistance in hosting household hazardous collection events, or aid in investigating illegal dumping, DEQ solid waste funding agreements are a tool we offer to help drive locally initiated environmental improvement projects” says Patrick Riley, DEQ manager of Solid Waste and Sustainability. “If funding is available, we will work to develop agreements and implement local projects this fiscal year.”

Types of Grants Available

Environmental Officer Grants not to exceed $50,000 are given to curtail illegal dumping. They typically provide funding for the salary of one part-time Environmental Officer, equipment used in cleaning up dump sites, and labor and other costs associated with clean-ups.

Large Equipment Grants to provide funding not to exceed $50,000, to support the purchase of large equipment to manage solid waste, such as brush chippers, or balers for compacting recyclable materials.

Collection Event Grants for municipalities to host events for residents to drop off household hazardous waste (HHW), unwanted pharmaceuticals, and electronic waste for proper disposal or recycling. Electronic waste collection events must use an e-Stewards or R2 certified e-waste recycler.

Professional Service/Other Grants are for non-profits that provide unique environmental improvement services not otherwise available.

Food Waste Management Projects (New for FY22) are for units of government–including public school districts, universities, municipalities, counties, or, tribes–for a wide range of projects to reduce wasted food by diverting it from disposal to higher use. Examples include supplies and equipment to support School Food Share or community food recovery programs and university research projects to define existing food recovery infrastructure.

Find out more and apply at for any of the grant applications. The first application period is open now through May 30 for the FY22 project year starting July 1, 2021.

Assistance will be provided until funds are exhausted. Subsequent application periods will be opened if additional funds remain after the first round of applications.

Interested individuals can contact Patrick Riley at 405-702-5100 or by e-mail at